Straight from Allrecipes, with very few modifications, this soup was DELICIOUS and really hearty.
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1.5 cups diced cooked ham
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added.
- Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through.
- Serve immediately.