- 1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large chicken breasts
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp basil
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, flour, and 1 cup water.
- Season chicken with salt, garlic and basil, then arrange on top of bean mixture.
- Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)
- Shred chicken into large pieces and return to stew.
- Serve topped with sour cream.