This was actually my first time making pesto. Since I can't eat much dairy without getting an upset stomach, I decided to make it cheese-free. My daughters and I really enjoyed it! Both on our pasta, and also as a dip for pita chips :)
We used about 1/4 of it tonight. The rest (pesto only) is separated and frozen for later :)
Original recipe found on Food Network.
- 4 cups packed basil leaves
- 1 2/3 cups EEVO
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or preferably 2 cloves of garlic, smashed)
- salt, to taste
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Season with salt.
- Add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth.