Saturday, September 3, 2011

Homemade Pesto (with pasta)

I couldn't believe how large my basil plant grew this year! My older daughter loves to eat the basil leaves right off the plant, but she couldn't keep up with the growth ;) So what do you make when you have a ton of basil? Pesto of course!

This was actually my first time making pesto. Since I can't eat much dairy without getting an upset stomach, I decided to make it cheese-free. My daughters and I really enjoyed it! Both on our pasta, and also as a dip for pita chips :)

We used about 1/4 of it tonight. The rest (pesto only) is separated and frozen for later :)

Original recipe found on Food Network.

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 cups packed basil leaves
  • 1 2/3 cups EEVO
  • 1/2 cup Pine Nuts
  • 2 tsp garlic powder (or preferably 2 cloves of garlic, smashed)
  • salt, to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. 
  2. Add 1 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. 
  3. Season with salt.
  4. Add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth.

No comments: