Thursday, September 1, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

I love Eggplant Parm and often order it when eating out.... and yet for some reason, I've never made it myself! Time to change that ;)  I LOVED it. My husband, however, won't eat eggplant... and my girls were not huge fans. But you know what, I loved it so that's all that matters ;) Hehehe. Plenty of leftovers for lunch :)

Original recipe from AllRecipes

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 eggplant, washed and thinly sliced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
  • 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • salt (for sweating the eggplant)
DIRECTIONS
  1. After slicing the eggplant, lay it out and sprinkle salt lightly all over. This will sweat the eggplant, making it less bitter.
  2. Preheat oven to 350*.
  3. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. 
  4. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes.
  5. In a 9x9 greased baking dish, place a layer of eggplant slices. 
  6. Spread a nice layer of tomato sauce atop the eggplant.
  7. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. 
  8. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. 
  9. Sprinkle basil on top.
  10. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. 
*confession...I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot to buy mozzarella cheese..and so, instead, I committed a cooking sin. I used shredded cheddar (eek!). It still turned out pretty darn good though ;)

No comments: