Original recipe from AllRecipes
- 1 eggplant, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt (for sweating the eggplant)
- After slicing the eggplant, lay it out and sprinkle salt lightly all over. This will sweat the eggplant, making it less bitter.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- In a 9x9 greased baking dish, place a layer of eggplant slices.
- Spread a nice layer of tomato sauce atop the eggplant.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses.
- Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.