Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

In search of vegetarian recipes for a friend, this blog and recipe was recommended to me. The Chili looked delicious and easy enough to make, so I thought I'd give it a try. YUM!

I doubled the recipe (dinner for us tonight and dinner delivered to a friend tomorrow) and made a couple tiny changes, but the original recipe is from blogger "The Way the Cookie Cumbles" found here: http://www.crumblycookie.net/2009/02/20/vegetarian-chili/

Now that I've made it and tasted it, I have to say... this is delicious!!!!!!! I didn't even add ground beef, as I originally thought I might. It really did not need it! Somebody commented on the original recipe on the Cookie Crumble blog that this is "restaurant quality" chili, and I have to agree; it was that good!

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 medium green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced
  • 10 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
  • 5 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 3 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 4 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon butter
Garnishes:
  • lime wedges
  • sour cream
  • cheddar cheese
  • cilantro
DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in onions, bell peppers, garlic, and spices.
  2. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes, beans, and soy sauce.
  4. Turn up heat to medium-high and bring the chili to a boil, then reduce to low.
  5. Cover and cook at a low simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
  6. If the chili is too thin, cook uncovered until it’s your preferred consistency.
  7. Stir in the butter and serve with the garnishes.

1 comment:

Nora O'Halloran said...

This sounds delicious!! I just got all of the ingredients and will make it this weekend. YUMMY!!