1 long loaf French bread (about 1/2 lb.)
3 c. milk
4 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- Generously butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Cut bread in 1 inch thick slices.
- Arrange bread in a single layer over prepared dish.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla until mixed.
- Pour over bread, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dot bread with butter.
- Bake uncovered until puffy and lightly browned approximately 45 to 50 minutes.
- Serve with syrup or honey.