- 1 butternut squash, cut in half or 1 package frozen butternut squash, defrosted*
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 box bowtie pasta (16 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 5-6 sage leaves
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Place halfed squash face down in an inch of water. Roast in oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.
Remove the squash from the oven and cool.
Once the squash halves are cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh out of the squash.
Use a food processor to puree the squash.
Melt butter over medium-high heat in a small skillet.
Add flour and cook about a minute.
Whisk in the milk and cook until the liquids come up to a bubble and the sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes.
Add the squash, nutmeg, cinnamon and sage and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Miss sauce with pasta and sprinkle the top with both cheeses.
Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly, 10-15 minutes.