The original recipe calls for a dry white wine (white-wine braised chicken). Of course I didn't check in advance and when I was pulling my ingredients to make dinner, I realized all I had was sweet sparkling white wine. That won't work! So beer-braised it is :)
So glad I decided to make it despite the "wrong" ingredients. It turned out great!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bay leaf
- garlic powder, to taste
- ground coriander, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- salt, to taste
- heat olive oil over high heat in a Dutch oven.
- add onions and chopped leek and cook until soft.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides.
- Add seasonings and mix well.
- Add beer, broth, bay leaf and sweet potatoes.
- Mix and cover. Turn heat to low and simmer for 45mins to an hour, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice.