Monday, February 28, 2011

beer-braised chicken with sweet potatoes

Original recipe from:
http://oishiifood.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/white-wine-braised-chicken-with-sweet-potatoes/

The original recipe calls for a dry white wine (white-wine braised chicken). Of course I didn't check in advance and when I was pulling my ingredients to make dinner, I realized all I had was sweet sparkling white wine. That won't work! So beer-braised it is :)

So glad I decided to make it despite the "wrong" ingredients. It turned out great!

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup light beer
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 large leek, chopped
  • 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup pearl onions
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • garlic powder, to taste
  • ground coriander, to taste
  • oregano, to taste
  • salt, to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. heat olive oil over high heat in a Dutch oven.
  2. add onions and chopped leek and cook until soft.
  3. Add chicken and brown on both sides. 
  4. Add seasonings and mix well.
  5. Add beer, broth, bay leaf and sweet potatoes. 
  6. Mix and cover. Turn heat to low and simmer for 45mins to an hour, until chicken is cooked through.
  7. Serve with rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you went for the beer! The second time I made this recipe, that's actually what I used too. That's what I love about braising- no matter what kind of liquid you use, it's always delicious!