I was already baking and pureeing sweet potatoes to make into baby food, so I figured why not try and add it to homemade mac and cheese! Delish.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Poke holes in washed sweet potatoes and bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Scoop out insides and puree in a food processor. You could also peel and chop, then steam the potatoes for around 20 minutes, until tender.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk for a minute, then slowly whisk in milk.
- Bring to a simmer while whisking frequently, then lower temperature to low and let simmer for about 6 minutes, until it has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Add the cheese and pureed sweet potatoes and stir until cheese is melted and it's all mixed well.
- Pour over cooked pasta, mix well, and enjoy.