Sunday, March 22, 2009

Homemade Burgers and Steak Fries

I quickly browsed our library $2 book sale on Saturday and was surprised to find a like-new copy of Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals 2. I would never buy her cookbook full price.. not that I don't like Rachel Ray, I think she has some great recipes... but it seems like whenever I follow her recipes, they don't turn out too great. But when I get ideas from her and turn the recipe into my own, only using her recipe to get an idea, read over it quickly, then proceed on my own.. that's when they turn out the best for me (this steak fry recipe, however, is all Rachel Ray). But for $2, and something that looked like it was loaded with some great ideas, why not?! I'm glad I bought it.

So this week... since I'm starting to feel much better and plan on actually cooking again (sorry Ry, no more take-out! ;) I think I'll try to stick with Rachel Ray ideas and adapt them into my own.

Tonight, steak fries from the Rachel Ray book. I'm also making burgers.INGREDIENTS

3 russet potatoes
vegetable oil for cooking
sea salt

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
8 Town House butter crackers
To taste: pepper,
garlic,
oregano
dash of paprika

DIRECTIONS

On medium heat, heat about 1.5 inches of oil in a pan.
After washing/scrubbing potatoes, Slice into about shoestring thickness.
Place on paper towels to dry.

Use hands to mix ground beer, egg, crackers, pepper, garlic, oregano and paprika in a large bowl.
When well combined, form into 2 large burger patties.
Grill for about 5 minutes each side, for 10 minutes total.

Place about half of the potatoes at a time into hot oil and cook partially, about 3 minutes.
Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Raise heat to medium-high and allow 2-3 minutes for oil to heat more.
Return potatoes to oil in 2 batches to crisp them to a golden brown, about another 2-3 minutes.
Place potatoes on clean paper towels to drain.
Season with sea salt.

(this would have been the perfect amount for 3 adults.. or 2 adults and 2 kids.. It was a bit much for just my husband and I.. though Ryan did finish his entire burger! wow!)

No comments: