Saturday, January 10, 2009

Spinach-Cheese Breakfast Squares

Recipe from American Profile: Hometown Cookbook: A Celebration of America's Table
By Mary Carter, Susan Fisher and Candace Floyd.

Following playgroup "tradition" to serve some sort of egg casserole, I decided to try out this recipe! Not bad :)
INGREDIENTS

4 tbsp butter
3 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
16 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
2 (10-oz) packages frozen spinach, thawed and well drained

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a 13x9-inch baking dish in the oven.
In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs with the flour, salt and baking powder.
Stir in the milk.
Add the cheese and spinach.
Spread the mixture evenly into the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and set in the center.
Cool and cut into squares.
Can be served warm or reheated.

1 comment:

gilded raspberry said...

Hi there! I found your post when I googled for this recipe to find it again. I was just curious...did you find that it took longer than the stated 25 minutes to bake? Like, closer to 40 minutes? I couldn't help but wonder if the problem was with the recipe or with me/my oven. :)