I loved this, and more importantly, my girls (3 and 5) loved it too!
I omitted the chocolate and the chili peppers, but only because I didn't have any at home and didn't have time to go shopping ;)
I had forgotten that this recipe was a slow cooker one, and didn't check it until 3 hours before dinner... so instead, I cooked it in a Dutch Oven, on low, for 2.5 hours. Worked perfectly!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15 ounce cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shreded reduced-fat cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions1. Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine chipotle pepper, chocolate, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cinnamon, garlic, black beans, sweet potatoes, corn, bell pepper and tomatoes in cooker; cook on low 8 hours.
2. Serve chili topped with cheddar and cilantro.
Photo and full recipe credit to http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/