Original recipe from FoodNetwork.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large 6-quart Dutch oven.
- Add the onion, carrot, and salt stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, and cumin and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency.