Sure, this recipe took time....almost 1.5 hrs total, including whinny teething toddler clinging to my leg and in need of comforting ;) But, it was absolutely worth it! So good. Plus, it didn't feel like I was slaving away at the stove. It was super easy. Add a little liquid, mix it up, play with the kids for 10-15 mins, repeat...
I made quite a few changes, so to see the original recipe, made with wine, click on the Pioneer Woman link above. The recipe I made was enough for dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids + 2 leftover lunches for me :)
- 4 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ whole Large Yellow Onion Finely Diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 stalk broccoli, chopped
- 1 whole Yellow Squash, Finely Diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (additional)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (additional)
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 3/4 can of light beer
- 4 whole Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 3/4 cups Frozen Peas
- 4 ounces, weight Goat Cheese
- Pour chicken broth into a small saucepan and heat to a simmer. Keep simmering.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Add onions and celery, stirring and cooking for about 5 mins.
- Add the remainder of the vegetables and stir and cook for another 5 mins.
- Set vegetable mixture on a plate for later.
- Add 1 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the same pan and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add rice and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the beer and stir. Simmer for about 15 minutes until all the liquid has absorbed
- "Over the next 30 to 45 minutes, add 1 cup of simmering broth at a time, stirring and cooking until each addition of broth has absorbed."
- Once rice is cooked, remove from heat.
- Stir in goat cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Mix in vegetables and sliced green onions and enjoy!