Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chicken-spinach pie with Mashed-Potato crust

I found this recipe in February 2009 Parenting magazine. Edited a bit. This recipe made enough for 2 dinners for my husband and me, one of which I froze for later.

INGREDIENTS

3 medium potatoes, peeled (optional) and chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp milk
3/4 tsp salt

Cooking spray
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS

Boil potatoes (I don't need to write directions out for making mashed potatoes, do I?! ;)

While potatoes are boiling, set oven to 375 F.
Lightly coat skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
Add carrots, onion, and basil. Cook until slightly browned, stirring often.
Add chicken and cook until golden brown.
Turn off heat and stir in spinach, cheese, and salt.

Place chicken mixture in a 9-inch pan and top with mashed potatoes.
Bake for 15 minutes.
To brown the potatoes, broil for 5 more minutes.

No comments: