Sunday, January 18, 2009

Citrus Apple Chicken Coleslaw

I have never in my life made coleslaw.. in fact, I don't think I'd ever eaten it either! It's always brought up images of way too much mayo, upset stomach, and really unhealthy.. But for some reason, I had a package of lettuce/coleslaw in the fridge that I had planned on using for taco toppings. I didn't, and it needed to be used. So I decided to try something new and I went in search of a healthier coleslaw recipe that sounded good. I found a few on allrecipes.com and ended up mix and matching and adding my own ideas to make what turned out to be delicious! Even my husband loved it and went back for seconds, and thirds ;)

I know coleslaw is usually a side dish, but with the chicken in there, this was great for a light dinner.INGREDIENTS

1/2 package of coleslaw with shredded carrots (I probably used closer to 3/4)
2 small apples, chopped
1 can of white meat chicken, drained

Dressing:
1 tsp MrsDash seasoning
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
5 tbsp mayo
2 tbs brown sugar
4 tsp white vinegar
2 tbsp orange juice or pineapple juice (I used orange because that's what we had)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika

DIRECTIONS

Wash, core and chop up the apples.
Mix the Dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
Add the coleslaw and mix until well covered.
Add the chicken and chopped apples. Mix well.
Enjoy!

No comments: